The above was from 1963, I was four years old and The Irishman was eleven. We just celebrated his 62nd on 9/11 this week. Yes, fate has linked his birthday to that tragic day never to be forgotten.
So excited about our debt repayment process, I alluded that August was looking good and I’ve had a sneak peak at September and so far so good! Our debt dropped $6.4K in August (and $3.6K so far in September – not shown). I’m just shy of my timeline – I should be at 40% paid off towards our debt repayment date of May 18, 2018 but I’m at 39.3%. I’m hoping I may be ahead of schedule for my September update. We’ll see.
Buoyed with this consistent and solid performance, I’ve added a new debt repayment date counter in my sidebar. It says I am three years to debt repayment, but it’s actually 3 years 8 months. My stretch target is 3 years 3 months. I did some calculations yesterday and a got a glimpse that maybe it was down to 3 years 5 months but immediately figured I made a mistake. I’ll leave a little more time pass and recalculate again. I don’t want to jinx us, and we still have to get through that dreaded winter where income may fall short again.
This time of year is generally better for us cash flow wise. The additional payroll deductions that hit in the first part of the year are long gone. To prepare for winter/spring lower income, I’m boosting up my e-fund/property taxes fund to $15K. I’m currently at almost $9K.
Now for some exciting news!
Frugal FinCon Fiesta Party
So while I’m running away all my debt, and don’t make enough on my blog to cover my costs plus many other good reasons (check it out if you want a laugh), I’ve conspired with some of my fellow bloggers to do something fun while the rest of you are lollygagging* away in New Orleans. Before I tell you what’s in it for the rest of us, let me tell you a bit more about FINCON.
- It’s a conference for financial media – bloggers, journalists and freelance writers, financial advisors and coaches, podcasters and brand marketing experts.
- There are workshops and speakers on beginner, intermediate and advanced topics to help communicators write better content, broadcast their message to larger audiences, learn to work with new media platforms.
- It runs from Thu Sep 18 – Sat Sep 20 this year, 2014.
- There’s a $99 virtual pass where you get lifetime access to all the keynotes and breakout sessions including videos, slides and MP3’s.
- It costs $499 for the conference fee. There were other passes available for advanced sessions etc. but they are now sold out. Hot stuff!
- You can’t bring your spouse into the sessions / parties unless they are a registered attendee (Guess they’re taking a nap!)
- There are FinCon mobile apps at the iPhone store or the Google Play Store (Android).
- The tweet tag is #FinCon14.
- For more information visit the FinConExpo.com
*I needed to check the meaning of lollygag to make sure I was using it in the right context.
I think maybe I am, he he, but no worries. But I just wanna say that if there is any of item #2 above going on, can you at least wait for next year when I can go?
Okay, on to the details about the Frugal FinCon Fiesta Party.
- It will run Sep 18 – 20 to coincide with FINCON and allow people time to visit other blogs (after all, most of us are working during the day, or taking a nap )
- It will be an open linky party using the inlinkz tool. You do not have to get an account. I have provided the code to insert into your blog post.** This will display links with pictures to all of the other partyers on your post. Here is an example from #FinSavSat. If you do not have a self-hosted blog but use WordPress.com, it will show up as little frog like in this post (from when I used to be on WordPress.com) but will take you to the linked blogs.***
- The purpose is to entertain questions from your readers like J. Money did in Ask J. Money Anything Day and Crystal did in Ask Crystal Anything Days. Answer the questions in the blog post (like live blogging over a 3 day period, as time permits, of course). Indicate in the comments when the question has been answered in the post. If you choose to get the party started by posting some teaser questions and answers about random facts about yourself, then by all means go ahead. This can be a great way to spawn future blog posts, if the answer is quite complex.
- I also would like you to encourage non-blogger readers to say ‘hi’, even if they don’t ask a question at this party.
- Let’s do some banter in the comments as well, not the usual commenter comments and blogger responds. Let’s mix it up and comment to other’s comments for some $hits and giggles.
- It will be super hot if you put a picture in the header of your post which you can select for the inlinkz. (or it will give you the option to choose other photos on your blog). There are tons of great shots if you search on “Fiesta” in MorgueFile.com to give your post some pizazz!
- I reserve the right to take down any spammy links or otherwise party-poopers who are not participating in the party with the spirit in which it was intended.
- TWEET #FrugalFINCONFiesta and HAVE FUN!
** Write your introduction to your post and then click on this link to get the code to be inserted in the text (html view) at the end of your party post. get the InLinkz code Note: You will not see it in preview mode. It needs to be posted live to show up. If you prefer to test, edit an old post.
Link your own post up to the party by clicking on the little blue box that says “Add your link” at the bottom.
*** Special instructions on how to set this up on WordPress.com is linked here from inlinkz. (non self-hosted blogs)
This post is part of Friday Jet Fuel #10 and